Nigeria to bid for the hosting of world students' international debate
September 28, 2012 18:44
Abuja, Sept. 28, 2012(NAN) Nigeria will bid to host the world students' international debate in 2016, an official of Presidential School Debate, Nigeria, has said.
Mr Ade Ayeni, the Director, International Programme of the body said while on a courtesy visit to Minister of State for Education, Chief Nyesom Wike on Friday in Abuja, that Nigeria had been given an open invitation to bid for the event.
He said that Nigeria would compete with 60 other countries to earn the right to host the programme.
``If the bid is won, the championship will be held in Abuja, Calabar or Lagos,’’.
Ayeni said that the group needed the collaboration, support, leadership and technical skills from the ministry to ensure the success of the debate.
``We want the ministry to assist us in providing all that is necessary needed in winning the bid and to host the event in 2016.
``So basically we want universities, schools halls and auditorium, where simultaneous debates will take place; lodging of the delegates and sponsors for the programme.''
He also said the group would require endorsement by Secretary to the Government of the Federation, vice chancellors, and eminent Nigerians such as Gen Yakubu Gowon, Prof. Wole Soyinka and some governors.
Responding, Wike said the ministry was ready to support the group, and commended its efforts in ensuing that Nigeria was represented at the world schools' debate.
``This would improve the education system and also expose our students to read more.
``This will also bring back the reading culture that Mr President has been campaigning about because it will be difficult if you do not read to represent the country in global competition.'' (NAN)